[PC-BSD Testing] [PC-BSD 8 Testing] PC-BSD-STABLE (Pre-Release 8.2)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Dec 10 14:15:57 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 01:02:36AM -0700, LinuxBSDos.com wrote:

> Just a few notes about Snapshot 8 .2 testing:
>
> 1. The default installation completed and I was able to boot into the
> system. Played with the Software Manager a bit, and did not observe any
> buggy behavior.
>
> 2. On using the ZFS option, the installation completed successfully, but
> as with the 9 snapshot, the system did not boot. Just hung at Boot: F1.
>
> 3. On doing a manual ZFS partition, the installer froze when it was time
> to add ZFS file systems. Creating a /boot and swap partition went ok.

I just spend most of the day trying to figure out this ZFS boot issue on 8/9. It looks
like some of the boot-loader code has been changed and is resulting in this odd behavior.

I've gone ahead and fixed it in SVN though, by default using ZFS will give you a 500MB
/boot partition on UFS, which fixes the booting issue.