[PC-BSD Testing] Testing out PCBSD 9 Snapshot

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Dec 7 08:20:10 PST 2010

Kris,

Ok here's some stuff I'm seeing on the 9-Current Snapshot

1. During Sysinstall, I hovered the mouse cursor over "Partition with
GPT for full disk install" and found a small typo

Is... "Enable this option if you *with* to use..."
Should be... "Enable this option if you *wish* to use..."

2. During Sysinstall, I hovered the mouse cursor over "Partition with
GPT for full disk install" and on my screen, the message "*Enable this
option...*" gets cut off at "*Warning: may not work with olde*" so if
possible, that long sentence needs a line-break to show the full
message. Perhaps after "*...scheme for dedicated disks.*"

3. I know how many things in Unix-land likes to be lowercase but on the
System Package Configuration screen, is it possible to capitalize in the
following manner:

base-devel > Base-Devel
base-i18n > Base-i18n
gnome2 > Gnome2
kde4 > KDE4
lxde > LXDE
misc > Misc
unsupported-desktops > Unsupported-Desktops
xfce4 > XFCE4

It really be just for aesthetics.

4. Installer's progress bar gets to 100% but many packages are still
being installed.

5. Detected my Intel Q45 Express as ATI 3D Enable. Chose Intel 3D Enable
and it worked fine.

6. At the login prompt, it would be nice to have the login field ready
and waiting instead of having to click on the profile (in my case, a
single profile setup).

7. Chose the default Window Manager (KDE) but got Gnome. Can't choose
KDE or other managers in Applications > Settings > System Settings >
Default Applications > WIndow Manager.

8. Gnome's "Show Desktop" icon (bottom left corner) is borked and kicks
out an error message about not being supported.

9. Not getting a mouse cursor, only a spinning circle (busy) cursor.

10. Seeing a weird ghosting effect / corruption in the following areas:

     a. Applications > Settings > System Settings > Login Screen
     b. "" "" > System Notifications Config (only on Manage Notifications)
     c. "" "" > Desktop Effects
     d. "" "" > Window Behavior (on Task Switcher, Virtual Desktops, and
Window Behavior)
     e. "" "" > Configure Network (in Network Settings)
     f. "" "" > Sharing (on Samba)
     g. "" "" > Multimedia (on Audio CDs)

Thought it might have been Intel 3d Enable but does the same on plain
Intel driver.

11. My keyboard doesn't seem to work. Can't type. Definitely detected as
Numlock is illuminated.

That's it for now.
Arthur