[PC-BSD Testing] supported processors

Brodey Dover doverosx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:54:48 PDT 2010

IA64 is one hundred percent Itanium. Not exactly run of the mill stuff.

Athlon XP is the Socket A variant and never supported 64-bit
instructions. There were Athlon MPs and XPs at this time, neither of
two supported 640bit instruction sets. When AMD went to Socket AM2 the
game had begun and AMD64 instructions followed all products including
the Semprons.

Only Prescott cored Pentium 4s support 64-bit extensions. For Intel a
short cut would be to say Pentiums with 64-bit extensions and anything
above Core Solo.

Also there are specific minimum requirements for ZFS users. 512MB
minimum for 32-bit and 1GB minimum for 64-bit. That said, the Sun
recommended minimums are twice that but the ones are listed as the
absolute minimum to run the FS as per Sun docs...and my memory.

Alas, I'm a serious hardware geek so the above is purely out of my
memory as well.