[PC-BSD Testing] kioslave for file ???

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Thu Apr 1 14:20:24 PDT 2010

On 4/1/10 12:42 PM +0000, Kris Moore wrote:

>On 03/30/2010 18:25, Walt Pawley wrote:
>> On 3/30/10 9:30 AM +0000, Kris Moore wrote on Re: [PC-BSD
>> Testing] kioslave for file ???

>>> So at this point it sounds like dolphin isn't working at all, correct?
>>> How about if you open a xterm / konsole, and run "tail -f
>>> .xsession-errors" while trying to use dolphin. Any interesting messages
>>> going by on the failure?
>>>
>> Yup, Dolphin pretty much can't locate anything. I hope this is
>> sufficiently interesting:
>>
>> ~$ tail -f .xsession-errors
>> "
>> SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
>> klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
>> "
>> SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
>> klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
>> "
>> SystemUpdater(1960): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
>> klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'http'.
>> "
>> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/local/kde4/bin/dolphin
>> dolphin(85597) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve
>> system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1.
>> [/usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub] (ServerCore) new socket connection.
>> Object::connect: No such signal DolphinView::redirection(KUrl,KUrl)
>> Object::connect: No such signal DolphinView::redirection(KUrl,KUrl)
>> dolphin(85597)/kdecore (trader)
>> KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader:
>> serviceType  "ThumbCreator"  not found
>> dolphin(85597)/kdecore (trader)
>> KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader:
>> serviceType  "ThumbCreator"  not found
>>

>Well, that really doesn't give a clear error on why it can't work :(

Yeah. I most certainly believe that!

>Was it working before and just stopped? Maybe something got corrupted in
>.kde4/?

That is pretty much the way I remember it. I supposed that some
code must have gotten dinged up and was shorting out some
connection. I've been hunting for that ding ever since ...
until late last night. For reasons that escape me, the problem
seems to have cleared up after a system restart. Why this
should have happened is inexplicable because I've rebooted the
system numerous times since with the problem persisting
throughout. Alikazzam!
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company