[PC-BSD Testing] Next Snapshot Available

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Apr 1 03:35:16 PDT 2010

I've just finished uploading the next snapshot of PC-BSD based upon
8-Stable:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/snapshots/8/

There have been a fair number of fixes to the installer in this release.
I've written a patch to "geli" allowing us to use passphrases
for the first time now. When you click to enable encryption, it'll
prompt you for a password, and when you boot that
same password will be required to mount the disk. Also, I've been able
to track down some bugs with the installer crashing and
rebooting spontaneously. If anybody still runs into a case where that
happens, please send me as MUCH detail as possible about
the type of install being done, FS setup, point where it crashes, etc.

I'm finishing up some last enhancements to the installer now, and when
that's in place it should be pretty much feature-complete
for 8.1 and we can begin working more on the desktop side of things. KDE
4.4.x should be going into the ports tree here soon,
and I hope to have it in the next snapshot for us to play with.

Thanks again so much for your continual help in testing/improving PC-BSD!

8.1 TODO List:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_8.1_TODO