[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 8.0-20090929 Available

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Wed Sep 30 22:15:36 PDT 2009

Some quick observations before I hit the sack.

Live CD mode boots up nicely

nVidia drivers work great. - Thanks Kris

The software manager seems to be a bit problematic. Thunderbird would
start to DL and then fail. Firefox didn't completely DL the first time.
The second time I got it and it said it was installing it but it didn't.
It disappeared from the list of installed pbi programs. Opera DL'd and
installed but did not put its icon in the menu. It did however run OK.
K3b DL'd and installed but would not run.

None of the extra software was installed initially so I presume that
part is not implemented yet. I did manage to get the ports installed
after the installation and I installed Thunderbird. That is running just
fine as this is being written with it.

The Ports Console also has some problems. You can cd to some of the
directories but not to others. For instance cd /usr/ports fails with no
such file or directory message while cd /usr/sbin works just fine. The
terminal lets me cd to the directories that fail in the Ports Console.
Anyway, it is late so I will work on this again tomorrow.