[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 8.0-20090929 Available

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 30 13:53:54 PDT 2009

Everybody,

The next Alpha of PC-BSD 8.0 is now ready for you to download!

Notable changes in this release:

* FreeBSD 8.0-RC1

* Improvements to base system

   - Using /usr/local LOCALBASE, allows users to easily modify their base desktop
     in the usual FreeBSD-ish way

   - Port-Console tool, provides users a way to build / run ports in a jailed environment,
     without fear of destroying their working desktop setup

* Many bugfixes to the install / live image, fixed lots of hal/dbus issues with xorg,
and fixed many bugs running in LIVE mode from DVD.

* NVIDIA drivers for 32bit now included
   (Nvidia is working on the 64bit drivers, and we'll include those when they are released)

* Misc other bugfixes, etc

Grab it here: (both 32/64bit)
ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/

As noted previously, this is an ALPHA, expect BUGS, and lots of them! We are still working on
our new installer, and hope to have that impelemented in one of the next alphas. Also, PBIs are
not yet being built for 8.0, but we are getting ready to do so, now that the release of FreeBSD 8.0
is getting closer :)