[PC-BSD Testing] Petabytes on a budget: How to build cheap cloud storage

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Sep 29 15:21:07 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Need lots of inexpensive but reliable storage space (approx. $100 per
> terabyte)?  Check out this "open source" engineering:
>
> https://www.backblaze.com/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage.html
>
> Touted by ZDNet saying, "Raw disk cost is only 5-10% of an enterprise RAID
> system’s cost. The rest goes for corporate jets, sales commissions,
> tradeshows, sheetmetal, 2 Intel x86 mobos, obscene profits and some pale and
> blinking engineers in a windowless lab who make it work."
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=603
>
> The only point warranting criticism visible to me is the use of linux for
> the OS, but substituting FreeBSD should be no problem, eh?

Haha! I saw this when it came out and we had some issues with how it
was designed. We've fielded numerous calls now asking if we can build
this for our customers. There are a lot of drawbacks to this
architecture that are hopefully handled in the software stack.

For Internet-based do it yourself storage, it's pretty sweet. Would I
use it for anything requiring redundancy and/or performance? Heck no!

Here's the take from a Sun design engineer:
http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/5899-Some-perspective-to-this-DIY-storage-server-mentioned-at-Storagemojo.html

-matt