[PC-BSD Testing] To Dru Lavigne -- Include runports info in book

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 22 16:28:09 PDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Matt Olander wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I definitely have a whole chapter planned just on ports.
>>
>> What sort of timeline is needed for the elegant solution? I have decent
>> flexibility regarding the order I write the chapters, but would need to get
>> to the ports chapter some time in November.
>
> No problem, I'm sure we'll know well before then and can try it out in
> an alpha pretty quickly. If it works, it'll eliminate the need for
> runports. It looked pretty promising and would end up fixing all the
> problems people have been having installing ports :-)
>
> -matt

I gotta stop going to these shows, keeping getting new and cool ideas to implement :)

I was going to take today off, but I've been putting around on my laptop testing our
new ports implementation ideas. Just run into a few small hiccups so far, but I think they
can be worked out. I should be able to get it a firm thumbs up / down in the next few days, but
its looking very promising right now.

I'll give you guys more info on it in a few days, assuming it all works out. If it does, it should
be really easy to roll a new alpha with the changes, so it could be ready for testing in a week or two.