[PC-BSD Testing] infrared/lirc

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 22 06:13:55 PDT 2009

I would suggest that we remove the Remote Controls system settings module. It requires lirc (which is easy enough to include in the release), but the freebsd port does not install ANY drivers (it suggests you port the Linux drivers in the src) and other than Lehey's mythtv howto, there are no lirc docs that apply to bsd. For the future, it would be uber-cool for PC-BSD to port the drivers and include lirc support with documentation--but that won't be in time for the next release. It might also be cool to rewrite this module so it supports other infrared packages other than lirc, such as mythtv, birda, uird, etc.

If the decision is made to keep Remote Controls, I would suggest that lirc be installed in the release and I'll make a note in the book that figuring out how to get one's device to do anything is an experiment left to the reader.

Cheers,

Dru