[PC-BSD Testing] 09142009 Alpha

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Wed Sep 16 13:15:28 PDT 2009

On 16.09.2009 22:49, Kris Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>

>> On 15.09.2009 16:32, Kris Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Hey everybody! I've just uploaded the next cut of the 8.0 Alpha. This release still does NOT include native 8.0 PBIs, or
>>> nvidia drivers, but we will begin to include those shortly after FreeBSD 8.0 releases, which should be in the next
>>> couple of weeks.
>>>
>>> This alpha updates the base to FreeBSD BETA4, and fixes a bunch of bugs in the desktop, kernel config, and software manager.
>>> Again, this is no where near production ready, but you may want to play with it, to test out your hardware support on FreeBSD 8.0.
>>>
>>> Also, I've made available the 64bit version as well this time, so feel free to give it a whirl also. If anybody wants to test
>>> LIVE DVD mode (option 3) please do so, I need people to test it on systems with 2GB of ram or less, and those with greater than
>>> 2GB of RAM to see if it works properly in both cases. (Systems with 2.5GB of RAM or greater will try to load the entire DVD image
>>> into memory, which should make the live mode run MUCH faster)
>>>
>>> Both the 32bit and 64bit versions may be downloaded below:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
>>>
>>> Hopefully the next Alpha will include the new System Installer, which is where the real fun begins :)
>>>

>> Hi there!
>> 1. Can't upgrade one BETA to another
>> 2. Can't install sources - Kris, can this be fixed while we still in alpha?
>>
> Please don't bother testing the installation right now, the entire
> installation system will be replaced here in the near future. I'm not
> planning on bugfixing the upgrade / component stuff, until we implement
> the new system :)

I mean not while installing, but later, I can't get sources, but they
could be required.

>> 3. SoftwareManager - didn't ask if I want to close it, when
>> downloading/installing something
>>
> Good idea, I'll get that added right away
>

>> 4. SoftwareManager - have no resume download - are you kidding me? :D
>>
> I have the hooks in place for it, it will be going in shortly :)
>

>> 5. SoftwareManager - can't specify a Dir to which download (and probably
>> resume) PBIs
>>
> In the configuration, the tmpdir is where PBIs get downloaded to
> before installing.
>

>> 6. SoftwareManager - can't tell it to store PBIs after installing.
>>
> Do you mean keeping the .pbi file after the install? Isn't that kinda a
> waste of space? Of course, you can always do that by downloading
> a PBI via a browser.

I can do via installer better - for example, make it queued (both
download and install) and it's not asking me a password each time.
But what if internet is bad, and I have more PCs to install PBIs.
I think there is nothing bad about one checkbox "Yes, keep PBIs and
waste my space" :)

>> 7. SoftwareManager - can't specify custom mirror URL (for large offices
>> could be http://, ftp://, nfs://, file://, or even smb://  )  - would be
>> useful
>>
> Under configuration button, you should be able to specify a custom
> mirror, which can be a http://, ftp:// and possibly smb://, haven't tested
> that one yet. Try entering a custom mirror like this:
>
> ftp://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/
>
> That works for me. The mirror has to have the right directory structure
> though, like /PBI/mail/mutt/7/x32/Mutt<ver>.pbi

Cool, I'll test it.

O, and one more thing - In pre-last Software Installer the icons wasn't
creating to desktop, is this fixed?

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software