[PC-BSD Testing] 09142009 Alpha

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 16 12:49:19 PDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:

> On 15.09.2009 16:32, Kris Moore wrote:
>> Hey everybody! I've just uploaded the next cut of the 8.0 Alpha. This release still does NOT include native 8.0 PBIs, or
>> nvidia drivers, but we will begin to include those shortly after FreeBSD 8.0 releases, which should be in the next
>> couple of weeks.
>>
>> This alpha updates the base to FreeBSD BETA4, and fixes a bunch of bugs in the desktop, kernel config, and software manager.
>> Again, this is no where near production ready, but you may want to play with it, to test out your hardware support on FreeBSD 8.0.
>>
>> Also, I've made available the 64bit version as well this time, so feel free to give it a whirl also. If anybody wants to test
>> LIVE DVD mode (option 3) please do so, I need people to test it on systems with 2GB of ram or less, and those with greater than
>> 2GB of RAM to see if it works properly in both cases. (Systems with 2.5GB of RAM or greater will try to load the entire DVD image
>> into memory, which should make the live mode run MUCH faster)
>>
>> Both the 32bit and 64bit versions may be downloaded below:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
>>
>> Hopefully the next Alpha will include the new System Installer, which is where the real fun begins :)
>>

> Hi there!
> 1. Can't upgrade one BETA to another
> 2. Can't install sources - Kris, can this be fixed while we still in alpha?

Please don't bother testing the installation right now, the entire
installation system will be replaced here in the near future. I'm not
planning on bugfixing the upgrade / component stuff, until we implement
the new system :)

> 3. SoftwareManager - didn't ask if I want to close it, when
> downloading/installing something

Good idea, I'll get that added right away

> 4. SoftwareManager - have no resume download - are you kidding me? :D

I have the hooks in place for it, it will be going in shortly :)

> 5. SoftwareManager - can't specify a Dir to which download (and probably
> resume) PBIs

In the configuration, the tmpdir is where PBIs get downloaded to
before installing.

> 6. SoftwareManager - can't tell it to store PBIs after installing.

Do you mean keeping the .pbi file after the install? Isn't that kinda a
waste of space? Of course, you can always do that by downloading
a PBI via a browser.

> 7. SoftwareManager - can't specify custom mirror URL (for large offices
> could be http://, ftp://, nfs://, file://, or even smb://  )  - would be
> useful

Under configuration button, you should be able to specify a custom
mirror, which can be a http://, ftp:// and possibly smb://, haven't tested
that one yet. Try entering a custom mirror like this:

ftp://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/

That works for me. The mirror has to have the right directory structure
though, like /PBI/mail/mutt/7/x32/Mutt<ver>.pbi