[PC-BSD Testing] 09142009 Alpha

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 15 06:32:12 PDT 2009

Hey everybody! I've just uploaded the next cut of the 8.0 Alpha. This release still does NOT include native 8.0 PBIs, or
nvidia drivers, but we will begin to include those shortly after FreeBSD 8.0 releases, which should be in the next
couple of weeks.

This alpha updates the base to FreeBSD BETA4, and fixes a bunch of bugs in the desktop, kernel config, and software manager.
Again, this is no where near production ready, but you may want to play with it, to test out your hardware support on FreeBSD 8.0.

Also, I've made available the 64bit version as well this time, so feel free to give it a whirl also. If anybody wants to test
LIVE DVD mode (option 3) please do so, I need people to test it on systems with 2GB of ram or less, and those with greater than
2GB of RAM to see if it works properly in both cases. (Systems with 2.5GB of RAM or greater will try to load the entire DVD image
into memory, which should make the live mode run MUCH faster)

Both the 32bit and 64bit versions may be downloaded below:

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/

Hopefully the next Alpha will include the new System Installer, which is where the real fun begins :)