[PC-BSD Testing] bugs/feature requests

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Sep 10 10:44:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> My list of questions and requests after writing 2 chapters follows. I'm on a ridiculously tight timeline for each chapter so any feedback
> is appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru
>
> ------
>
> Feature requests:
>
> Disable screensaver during install as the black screen may panic some new users. I can tell people not to panic in the installation
> chapter, but it would be better to just disable if possible.

I made a note of this to investigate further. I have put config in to disable the screensaver, but I think it is the monitor
/ power-management which is 'blanking' the screen after a set period of inactivity. I'll dig into this and try to get
it disabled.

> Is it possible to have the install/scripts modify KMixer's default settings? RecMon, Microphone, and IGain are muted and have no volume
> by default. At the moment I've provided a tip to users, but it would be nice if PC-BSD just did this for the user.

Just commited a fix for this, should start Mic / RecMon at 75% and unmuted.

> Is it possible to remove (or hide) .keepme from the Create New menu when someone right-clicks a folder view? This will be confusing to
> new users and a bit embarrassing to tell them "just pretend it's not there".

Fixed in SVN, stray file was causing this issue :P It's gone now

> Anyone know of a list of video cards which support desktop effects which I can refer readers to?

I don't have a solid list, but pretty much any nvidia card from 5200FX and onward will work, some intel and ATI work as well,
just depends completely on the driver support for xorg and in FreeBSD drm. I haven't been able to test everything on 8.0
yet, but my Intel 965 is working with compositing on my latop, and I have an ATI 9600 Pro that works as well. Anybody else have a
list we can point to to confirm what works / doesn't work with 3d compositing?

> Are there plans for a (or an existing) PC-BSD/FreeBSD ATI/Radeon driver that does support desktop effects?

The radeonHD driver is supposedly going to support it, but I don't really have any first-hand experience on how well
it works, if at all. Anybody else comment on it?

> Are there plans for the 8.0 GNOME PBI to integrate the software manager and network devices into the panel or should readers be referred
> to the command line equivalents?

I don't personally use Gnome, so I'm not sure how much work would go into making them run. If somebody takes that ball and runs
with it, then sure we'll support it. But to be on the safe-side, the command-line always works, which is useful if somebody installs
Gnome, XFCE, or some other WM that doesn't support tray apps.

As an aside, from within Gnome, you should be able to still run "systemsettings" to bring up the KDE4 config program, which
includes the SoftwareManager and Network Stuff.

> Possible bugs:
>
> I was not able to get Configure Window Behavior->Actions->Titlebar wheel event to do anything. Anyone know if this is an outstanding KDE
> bug or just a bug in the FreeBSD version of KDE?

Works for me! I plugged in my wheel mouse, and confirmed it works by scrolling a konsole session. Then I went and setup the Titlebar
wheel even to raise/lower. I clicked apply, then hovered my mouse over the window titlebar, and moving the wheel works just fine, it
raises or lowers my window when I move it.