[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0 ALPHA for your inspection: some things I've noticed

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Sep 9 07:13:16 PDT 2009

Right, just finished installing it yesterday and was kicking the
tires a bit. Noticed a couple things.

1. If I run the Display Setup Wizard from System tools, it hangs at
the black background with the mouse cursor. I can move the cursor but
nothing happens. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE doesn't drop me to shell. Hitting
the power button does invoke a graceful shutdown. 100% repeatable on my end.

2. When booting and choosing Option 7 to run the Display Setup
Wizard, I notice it will say "Determining Monitor's Refresh Rate
Capability" two times while in text mode before it brings up the GUI
resolution choice screen. In my case, I'm using my old Dell GX280
abuse box with integrated Intel 915 VGA in it. It defaults to Intel
but if I choose Intel-3D-Enable and click apply with the default
settings, it'll go through its song and dance in GUI mode, kick out
to the "Saving X-Org Config" business, display "Determining Monitor's
Refresh Rate Capability" and then bring me right back to the GUI
Display Setup. If I go through the process again and choose
Intel-3D-Enable and click Apply, it will go through the song and
dance again saying it's writing the new X-Org config file and THEN
begins booting to the desktop. 100% repeatable on my end. I think
this junk has been fixed in the 2.8.1 driver, whenever it hits ports.
It's probably partly X-Server 1.6.1's fault as well. Too bad no 1.6.3
in ports yet.

3. System Settings > Network Settings > clicking on Network Settings
throws a "Your Platform Is Not Supported" message screen.

4. Click on System Settings > Display > Gamma no longer shuts down. Woot.

5. Seems that on this newer KDE, checking on Enable Desktop Effects
no longer throws an error on my 915-based system and the checkbox
stays checked even after a reboot. I think it's due to the updated
KWin. Nonetheless, that's cool.

6. Policy kit? Do I smell kiosk mode? Remote killswitches!? Moo ha ha
ha! <rubbing hands>

7. Love the new effect where hovering the cursor over icons in System
Setting shows you what additional options are within that setting. Nice.

8. Booting seems faster.

More as it comes.

[This message (and any attachments) contains confidential information intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the
intended recipient, you must delete this message. Any disclosure,
copying, harvesting,
dissemination, opting-in or the taking of any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.]