[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0 ALPHA for your inspection

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Sep 7 03:16:34 PDT 2009

2009/9/7 Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua>

> [...]
>> da0s1a
>> I don't know what to do here, because it see my media, wtf - I don't know
>> :)
>> But anyway, I started to boot from my old installation (7.1.1-RC1), and
>> press F5 (for disk1), it runs, boots, all OK.
>> 2. While installing, I select "Upgrade" - install detected my old version,
>> I chose it... but I haven't enter anywhere root/user passwords. It upgrades
>> OK, but simply left root with no password, and all other users were deleted
>> - lol :) However,  I added my old user with same username in console, and
>> logged in just fine.
>> 3. While installation copying files, we see /mnt/./usr/PCBSD....   earlier
>> we haven't seen /mnt/.   Bug? Feature?...
>> 4. After upgrade, I see my old desktop with same layout. This is awesome
>> :) Probably plasmoids saves too. And all soft installed in /usr/local/ works
>> :) (Except for psi - it simply hangs when I switch language, maybe 7.2/8.0
>> need recompilation)
>> 5. Network settings are lost during upgrade - bad behave, I hope it'll go
>> away with new installer.
>> 6. Once somehow during editing networks settings I lost connection to
>> display. No, all launched soft remai running, but I couldn't launch anything
>> - it's says "Could not connect to :0" - weird.
>> 7. After upgrade, my all installed PBIs remains working, but new Software
>> manager can't see them.
>> 8. About new software manager - looks fine, but I tried to install wine
>> clicked by it, and it goes to "Installed software tab", with "Download
>> failed! try again later". That's cool, but how to "try" again? :) I clicked
>> again in "Software browser", but this action didn't tried again, but spawned
>> second record, with same result - "wine 1.1.28 - Download failed! try again
>> later".
>> 9. I tried to install something else, like "visualboyadvance", same
>> result. I closed manager, re-opened it, I see that both wines disappear, but
>> visualboy still remains. This probably because I had installed wine in prev
>> version of PC-BSD, don't know.
>> 10. BTW, Seems that while upgrading old version, it installs some files in
>> English, or we have a lot of holes in translation currently? I tried to
>> upgrade to Russian version, but Network manager is in English.
>> More coming! :)
>>
> 11. Managing of users is broken, it simply crashes when I try to launch it
> at my "upgraded PC".
> 12. I think upgrade feature is broken for sure. I can install a fresh
> russian version, but I couldn't properly upgrade it. I can confirm it by my
> external drive - it displays in dolphin filenames with mess of symbols,
> instead of correct ones (which displays OK in fresh-installed version of 8.0
> PC-BSD). Probably this is because of droped user, but probably not.
> Kris, please, take this serious :) Because always install fresh version
> instead of upgrading not an option for many companies.

13. Plugged external drive formatted in NTFS appear OK  in "Devices,
recently plugged in" thing, with correct label, but not appear in dolphin. I
mount it, it went OK. After I umount it from console, I unplugged it. New
plugs not detetcted by system, neither this drive, nor other one.
14. Good news in BSD camp! A while ago I ran few tests for ntfs and large
files. All test were failure - copy/read fails after few gigs. I digged to
FreeBSD guys, they told me that this because of FreeBSD vnode system, which
would chabge in 8.0. I hoped that all would works now, and ta-da! All works
ok, no failures, no stops!
Copy big files 13g,12g,9g,8g = OK
Average speed of copy from external USB drive to internal UDMA133 - about
18-20Mb/s = OK (not awesome, but pretty good)
diff 13g file UFS/NTFS = OK
diff 12g file UFS/NTFS = OK
Failures = NONE
NTFS-3G now currenlty fully works in FreeBSD, triple hurray :)
Congratulations all, with new USB (no panics more) and new vnode things
(ntfs-3g full support), we'll have 8.0 a very strong release!
At this point, I'll return to work.

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow