[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0 ALPHA for your inspection

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Sep 7 02:02:00 PDT 2009

2009/9/7 Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua>

> 2009/9/7 Bill Leeper <protagonist at charter.net>
>
>> In a word, sweet.  I installed a couple of things and so far so good.
>> I like having everything all in one place.
>>

>> More deep tests here :)
> 1. I wrote all to USB UFS flash, I booted OK from flash on my AsusEEE.
> However, I tried to boot from it at work, all goes well until tried to mount
> installation media.
> Install says something like this:
> Unable to find media, *cd* and da*. Available media:
> da0
> da0s1
> da0s1a
> I don't know what to do here, because it see my media, wtf - I don't know
> :)
> But anyway, I started to boot from my old installation (7.1.1-RC1), and
> press F5 (for disk1), it runs, boots, all OK.
> 2. While installing, I select "Upgrade" - install detected my old version,
> I chose it... but I haven't enter anywhere root/user passwords. It upgrades
> OK, but simply left root with no password, and all other users were deleted
> - lol :) However,  I added my old user with same username in console, and
> logged in just fine.
> 3. While installation copying files, we see /mnt/./usr/PCBSD....   earlier
> we haven't seen /mnt/.   Bug? Feature?...
> 4. After upgrade, I see my old desktop with same layout. This is awesome :)
> Probably plasmoids saves too. And all soft installed in /usr/local/ works :)
> (Except for psi - it simply hangs when I switch language, maybe 7.2/8.0 need
> recompilation)
> 5. Network settings are lost during upgrade - bad behave, I hope it'll go
> away with new installer.
> 6. Once somehow during editing networks settings I lost connection to
> display. No, all launched soft remai running, but I couldn't launch anything
> - it's says "Could not connect to :0" - weird.
> 7. After upgrade, my all installed PBIs remains working, but new Software
> manager can't see them.
> 8. About new software manager - looks fine, but I tried to install wine
> clicked by it, and it goes to "Installed software tab", with "Download
> failed! try again later". That's cool, but how to "try" again? :) I clicked
> again in "Software browser", but this action didn't tried again, but spawned
> second record, with same result - "wine 1.1.28 - Download failed! try again
> later".
> 9. I tried to install something else, like "visualboyadvance", same result.
> I closed manager, re-opened it, I see that both wines disappear, but
> visualboy still remains. This probably because I had installed wine in prev
> version of PC-BSD, don't know.
> 10. BTW, Seems that while upgrading old version, it installs some files in
> English, or we have a lot of holes in translation currently? I tried to
> upgrade to Russian version, but Network manager is in English.
> More coming! :)

11. Managing of users is broken, it simply crashes when I try to launch it
at my "upgraded PC".
12. I think upgrade feature is broken for sure. I can install a fresh
russian version, but I couldn't properly upgrade it. I can confirm it by my
external drive - it displays in dolphin filenames with mess of symbols,
instead of correct ones (which displays OK in fresh-installed version of 8.0
PC-BSD). Probably this is because of droped user, but probably not.
Kris, please, take this serious :) Because always install fresh version
instead of upgrading not an option for many companies.

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow