[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0 ALPHA for your inspection

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Sep 7 01:52:35 PDT 2009

2009/9/7 Bill Leeper <protagonist at charter.net>

> In a word, sweet.  I installed a couple of things and so far so good.
> I like having everything all in one place.
>

> More deep tests here :)
1. I wrote all to USB UFS flash, I booted OK from flash on my AsusEEE.
However, I tried to boot from it at work, all goes well until tried to mount
installation media.
Install says something like this:
Unable to find media, *cd* and da*. Available media:
da0
da0s1
da0s1a
I don't know what to do here, because it see my media, wtf - I don't know :)
But anyway, I started to boot from my old installation (7.1.1-RC1), and
press F5 (for disk1), it runs, boots, all OK.
2. While installing, I select "Upgrade" - install detected my old version, I
chose it... but I haven't enter anywhere root/user passwords. It upgrades
OK, but simply left root with no password, and all other users were deleted
- lol :) However,  I added my old user with same username in console, and
logged in just fine.
3. While installation copying files, we see /mnt/./usr/PCBSD....   earlier
we haven't seen /mnt/.   Bug? Feature?...
4. After upgrade, I see my old desktop with same layout. This is awesome :)
Probably plasmoids saves too. And all soft installed in /usr/local/ works :)
(Except for psi - it simply hangs when I switch language, maybe 7.2/8.0 need
recompilation)
5. Network settings are lost during upgrade - bad behave, I hope it'll go
away with new installer.
6. Once somehow during editing networks settings I lost connection to
display. No, all launched soft remai running, but I couldn't launch anything
- it's says "Could not connect to :0" - weird.
7. After upgrade, my all installed PBIs remains working, but new Software
manager can't see them.
8. About new software manager - looks fine, but I tried to install wine
clicked by it, and it goes to "Installed software tab", with "Download
failed! try again later". That's cool, but how to "try" again? :) I clicked
again in "Software browser", but this action didn't tried again, but spawned
second record, with same result - "wine 1.1.28 - Download failed! try again
later".
9. I tried to install something else, like "visualboyadvance", same result.
I closed manager, re-opened it, I see that both wines disappear, but
visualboy still remains. This probably because I had installed wine in prev
version of PC-BSD, don't know.
10. BTW, Seems that while upgrading old version, it installs some files in
English, or we have a lot of holes in translation currently? I tried to
upgrade to Russian version, but Network manager is in English.
More coming! :)

Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow