[PC-BSD Testing] 8.0 ALPHA for your inspection

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Sun Sep 6 13:06:07 PDT 2009

On 05.09.2009 17:38, Kris Moore wrote:

> Testers,
>
> We've gotten a PC-BSD 8.0 ALPHA ISO to the point where the brave can begin to take a look at some of it's
> new features, and test out the new FreeBSD 8 on your hardware. This release is for 32bit only, after FreeBSD 8.0
> is released we'll begin the amd64 builds as well. Also, we have not begun to build the PBI tree for 8.0, and will
> do so after FreeBSD 8.0 releases. However, you can still install 7.x PBIs on 8.0, but they may not all
> perform properly.
>
> *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*
>
> This is obviously a very early alpha build, so expect plenty of bugs and missing features. This is mainly
> a release for previewing what's to come, we will begin a more serious bug hunt after we finish implementing all
> the new features for 8.0.

Ok, report here.
1. Guys from FreeBSD again broke something in loader, so I could'nt boot
from FAT USB.
2. I had with last Alpha problems with wireless, sometimes network
restart could hang + reboot my PC-BSD, what is worse - reboot of my
wireless router 100% did reboot of my PC-BSD (ouch, this hurts ;) ).
3. I installed PC-BSD, configured wireless, tried to restart network,
comp reboots, filesystem broken, and you know, I found /etc/rc.conf file
empty :) That's render my system un-loginable :)
I need to write it from scratch now :)

Kris, how about make ALL operations with important files more fail-proof?
Something like this:

echo "new content" > file.new
sync (to make sure all OK)
cp file /usr/PCBSD/backups/impotrant-files/file-`date`.bak && sync && mv
file.new file && sync

This would be much better, and wouldn't cause troubles with soft updates
and hangups.
Of course, this not for all files, just for system config ones.
If you'd like I could do this :)
> *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*
>

> Download Link:
>
> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/x32/
>
> (You may wish to use a FTP client that supports resuming for this download)
>

> -- Changes implemented already --
>
> * Built on FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2
>
> * Includes KDE 4.3.1 / QT 4.5.2
>
> * ISO Changes
>     - Support for running in Installation or LIVE mode to try out PC-BSD straight from disk
>
> * New Software Manager
>     - Web-based software browser
>     - Download&  Install PBIs in the background
>     - Background updating of PBIs
>     - Mirror Selection / Customization options
>     - Automated system update installation
>     - Re-create desktop icons for applications
>
> * PBI Improvements
>     - Using xdg-desktop* utilities for mime / kmenu icon installation
>     - Scripts to re-create desktop / kmenu / mime icons anytime after installation
>

> -- Changes still needing to be merged in --
>
> * Brand new System Installer
>     - Supports installing PC-BSD Desktop/Server and FreeBSD Vanilla
>     - Supports scriptable installation
>
> * Backup / Recovery tool
>
> --
> Kris Moore