[PC-BSD Testing] Yet another Xorg change to come

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 29 05:00:14 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> In addition to the newly minted FBSD 8.0-RC2 that is out, X.org Foundation
> has announced Release 7.5 of the X Window System, Version 11
> (X11R7.5-Release).
> http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/RELNOTES.html#AEN620
>
> There are new Intel drivers.  With HAL deprecated, configuration of input
> devices via HAL *.fdi files may not be supported in future Xorg server
> releases.  HAL will likely be replaced with something else (DeviceKit?)
>
> I cannot think that Kris will be excited as he is hard at work developing
> PCBSD 8.x and the last thing he needs at this time is yet another X.org
> change or HAL change to complicate his work.
>
> Good luck Kris.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio
> !DSPAM:1,4ae98fee15311211427498!

!!!

What the heck, HAL was the brand new thing as of not too long ago, I'm
really surprised they are depreciating it already :( From the readme, HAL
itself is going away, to be replaced with DeviceKit, sometime later. Oh
well, such is the way of open-source it seems. Hopefully whatever new standard
they come out with will last a bit longer :)