[PC-BSD Testing] Ports Console feedback

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Oct 26 11:28:33 PST 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Here's my list from today's writing. Mostly ports stuff but I'm still having ipw/iwi problems (new system, fresh install of latest ISO).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru
>
> ---
>
> ipw and iwi interfaces are probed correctly. However, these interfaces don't work out of the box as these 2 lines aren't added to
> /boot/loader.conf:
>
> if_i*_load="YES"
> legal.intel_i*.license_ack=1
>
> and the rc.conf lines should be:
>
> wlans_i*0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>
> On my system, the ifconfig line was as if the wireless interface was probed as an Ethernet interface.

Fixed!

> feature request: during install, a hostname generation script should create a random name or the installation gui should prompt the user
> to create a unique name. The default of always using pcbsd as the hostname will cause a mess if the user has multiple pcbsd systems on
> the same network.

Great idea, I've added that idea to my list to put in the new installer.

> For some reason, /etc/resolv.conf isn't making it to Ports Console. I had to manually created this file for Ports Console to work. I
> don't see a typo in portjail.sh, but something prevented the link from working. Can someone else please see if they can recreate this bug
> or if I just happened to hit a temporary blip.

I can't duplicate this on my laptop here, it seems that resolv.conf is hardlinked to the main system resolv.conf
just fine. Maybe a hiccup? I'll check this again in the next alpha though to see if I can get
it to fail.

> feature request: add following lines to portjail.sh so whatis works for installed packages/ports:
>
> MANPATH=/usr/local/man
> export MANPATH
>
> Manpages aren't installed in the jail itself, so there is no sense appending ;/usr/local/share/man to that MANPATH (unless you intend to
> add the system manpages)

Good idea, added :)

> And now for an interesting feature of using a ports jail...the application can only be started from within the jail as it does not
> "exist" outside of the jail. I guess this is a good thing, though users won't be able to use KDE's Menu Updating tool for the software
> they add outside of the PBI system...I guess I'll remind readers that this is a necessary evil and encourage power users to create PBIs
> for the packages/ports they really like to use.

Yea, since ports jail is a completely seperate jail of applications, there isn't any "bleedover" to the desktop / kmenu.

However, I've just commited a few small changes to the port jail, which may be a good way for power users to
still make desktop icons. I've added "portjail" to the PATH, so that you can use it thusly:

  % portjail run /usr/local/bin/firefox

This of course would execute /usr/local/bin/firefox from within the ports jail, allowing you to easily
create an icon on the desktop calling this command. This will be in the next alpha for you to play
with :)