[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 10152009 Up!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Oct 21 19:51:19 PDT 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, doverosx at gmail.com wrote:

> Arthur wrote:
>> Quick note about the new alpha. On my home machine I have spare SATA
>> I drive that I used to play with and I found that when booting for
>> the first time it chose the 185.xx NVidia driver to try and run my
>> AGP 5600 but every time I accepted it and the resolution, it failed
>> and went into a shutdown/reboot. Selecting the 173.xx driver was
>> ultimately what I had to do to get it to run. Just a heads up that
>> the VGA driver auto-detecting might not be 100% there.
>>
>> Arthur

> Wowww a 5600, that is like REALLY old!
>
> I suppose one could modify the auto-detection to probe for vgaX devs and
> based on some table...txt file decide on which driver to use.

I've just updated the display wizard to fix this issue, using Nvidia's handy chart
of PCI ID's for older graphics cards :)

http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/180.44/README/appendix-e.html

As long as your card is in this list, it should suggest the right driver now. You can find out
your ID by running "pciconf -l | grep vga" and look at the chip= line. The first 6 digits should
match something in nvidia's list there.