[PC-BSD Testing] few questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Oct 20 09:17:04 PDT 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Software Manager -> Configuration: copy of .pbi.tmp is saved regardless of the "keep downloaded software in temporary directory" setting.

That .tmp file must have been from a failed download, when the download is successful / finished, it gets renamed to .pbi to
indicate its finished.

> Will saved copies of 8.0 PBIs end with a .pbi.tmp extension?

Nope, they should be given .pbi extension when the download completes.

> What icon will Update Manager use in 8 when updates are available? Will it still be a yellow triangle?

It actually switches to a yellow shield now:

/PCBSD/SystemUpdater/images/sysupdates.png

> Where exactly does Update Manager connect to in order to determine if updates are available?

Take a look at /PCBSD/SystemUpdater/conf/sysupdate.conf, thats the config file for the location of patch data.

If you want to test out the updater right now, you can do so by editing sysupdate.conf, and changing PATCHSET: pcbsd -> PATCHSET: pcbsdtest

I have a sample patch online right now, which just tests out the updater, and lets you confirm its working. You'll also see a .key file
in that conf/ directory, which is the gpg key we use to confirm you are getting legit patch from the server.