[PC-BSD Testing] Share tab of a folder in dolphin

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Oct 20 08:21:52 PDT 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Sharing currently doesn't work for either NFS or Samba.
>
> NFS won't work until:
>
> /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/fileshareset is set suid root

Fixed!

> Additionally, that file is designed for Linux, meaning it has to be modified as so:
>
> $smb_exports::conf_file = '/usr/local/etc/smb.conf';

Fixed!

> my $authorisation_group:   either the default "fileshare" group should be created by the operating system or this line should be changed
> to the BSD equivalent used by NFS

Fixed!

> system'/usr/sbin/exportfs', '-r');  this is not the command used in BSD and /etc/rc.d/nfsd should do all the proper mounting stuff,
> meaning that this whole section should be replaced with the BSD nfsd startup script.
>
> I think the above should get sharing through NFS to work, but I may have missed something else

I've done some massaging of these files now, should be more BSD specific.

As an aside, I've added some additional ports to PF for NFS sharing, however, it still is blocking something,
and only disabling PF completely is allowing NFS to passthrough.

Here's where I got some of the ports, but it still doesn't work properly. Any others you guys know of that I'm missing?

Also the KDE NFS sharing wizard looks like its fairly linux-specific, it doesn't create proper /etc/exports entries for BSD
so something needs to be ported there.

> ---
>
> When sharing with Samba, the current firewall rules are blocking smb as I had to disable the firewall in order to use smb:/  However, I
> still could not see the shares, so there are additional Samba settings required. However, the More Samba Options in the Share tab does
> not ask for the root password, meaning the settings are useless as they are greyed out. Also, system settings (administrator mode) has
> disappeared from Kickoff -> Applications. And Samba settings in Kickoff are still screwy  as some stuff is still greyed out (I think Josh
> was working on this?)

The firewall options allow samba to work just fine in my testing here. I have to create a share, and then go into system -> samba config -> Allow guest logins to let browsing work, then I could connect from another PC-BSD system smb://, and from a vista system just fine,
while the firewall was enabled.

Also, which "share tab" are you looking at? When I right-click a folder and go to properties / share, it has me run as root to setup
sharing, and everything appears valid.

> ---
>
> If you right-click a folder in dolphin -> Properties -> Sharing -> Allowed Users -> Choose Group, all of the system groups show in the
> drop down menu for the new file share group which is a security risk for novice users. Is it possible to not show this list and only show
> groups the user has made (or the fileshare group above)? Ideally, there would be a New button in this screen so the user could create a
> group.

I see that here. It appears there is no filtering in that module for system groups like you said, however we may need to kick
that up to the KDE guys to see if they plan on adding that in a future version.