[PC-BSD Testing] How to make inetd in 8-alpha play?

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Mon Oct 19 11:24:25 PDT 2009

At 1:51 PM -0400 10/19/09, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:

>sorry if I may ask a few questions that you already answered:
>    - does it work on 7.x?

It did. Comparisons will be "difficult" now - I reused the drive
that had 7 on it to put 8 up. I initially tried to "upgrade" the
installation. It did something but would not let me log in when
the result started up, so I did a fresh install.

>        - if so, check the logs on 8 (they should be stored
>wherever the syslogd are.. messages I believe)

The "messages" log file has been pretty quiet about the whole thing.
Looking through other log files hasn't yielded any clues ... to me.

>    - if u manually start it, does it run?

It runs whether started manually or via rc.conf at boot. It just
doesn't work ... as I expect, anyway.

>        - if so, if you execute "/etc/rc.d/inetd start" does it start?

I had to "/etc/rc.d/inetd stop" first (that worked) and then
"/etc/rc.d/inetd start" started it right back up. No apparent
problems ... except that it doesn't start services indicated
in /etc/inetd.conf as ones I want.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company