Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Fri Oct 16 12:38:22 PDT 2009

>At <http://wiki.freebsd.org/8.0TODO>http://wiki.freebsd.org/8.0TODO
>FreeBSD says:
>
>. . . 8.0-RC2 builds are currently planned for approximately 14 October.
>
>Currently, we are working to resolve problems with
>Position-Independent Executable (PIE) binaries introduced by the
>recent NULL-mapping vulnerability mitigation work. This prevents
>certain binaries, both (rare but important) native binaries and
>certain Linux binaries from running while mitigation is enabled. Bug
>fixes are now in progress for the kernel image activator and runtime
>linker to address these problems. Once they are resolved, RC2 builds
>will commence.
>
>We continue to track problems reported with booting from USB media,
>associated with boot order and dependencies in the USB/CAM stack,
>which may also affect firewire. We hope that these will be resolved for 8.0.
>. . . Last updated: 11 October 2009
>
>Apologies for my optimism.  Props to Kris for rolling out the most
>recent versions so we can continue to have some fun.

Ian,

I guess these kind of things are unforeseen otherwise it would have
gone off without a hitch and been release in September as was
planned. Better for it to be well cooked than half-baked. ;-)

Arthur

[/]This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
information intended for a
specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are
not the intended recipient,
you must delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, harvesting,
dissemination, opting-in
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited by law.[/]