Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 11:36:40 PDT 2009

------------------------------

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:13:04 -0500
> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
>
> Looks we'll be seeing an RC3 too.
>
> Arthur
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>
> Thats ok, i have a pretty recent SVN checkout of 8-Stable, I'm using that
> to build the next ALPHA right now,
> I'm going to try and have it available tomorrow if possible, lots of
> desktop fixes in it.
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>
> > On 10/13/2009 10:50 AM, Ian Robinson wrote:
> >> The FreeBSD organization is expected to release FreeBSD 8.0 - RC2
> >> tomorrow (Wednesday October 14, 2009)
> > This did not materialize as far as I can tell. Looks like there's still
> > some hold-up from reading the mailing list.
> >
> > Arthur

At http://wiki.freebsd.org/8.0TODO FreeBSD says:

. . . 8.0-RC2 builds are currently planned for approximately 14 October.

Currently, we are working to resolve problems with Position-Independent
Executable (PIE) binaries introduced by the recent NULL-mapping
vulnerability mitigation work. This prevents certain binaries, both (rare
but important) native binaries and certain Linux binaries from running while
mitigation is enabled. Bug fixes are now in progress for the kernel image
activator and runtime linker to address these problems. Once they are
resolved, RC2 builds will commence.

We continue to track problems reported with booting from USB media,
associated with boot order and dependencies in the USB/CAM stack, which may
also affect firewire. We hope that these will be resolved for 8.0.
. . . Last updated: 11 October 2009

Apologies for my optimism.  Props to Kris for rolling out the most recent
versions so we can continue to have some fun.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio