[PC-BSD Testing] Latest PC-BSD issues

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Oct 13 12:44:48 PDT 2009

2009/10/13 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>

> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
>

>> 2009/10/13 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>>
>>      On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>>
>>      > Appearance - Icons, "Get new themes" not working;
>>      > And splash screens not downloading too :(
>>      > text-to-speach instead of russian voice trying to give me Czech :)
>>      >

>> I just did some testing on the Icons & Splash screen stuff. I'm not sure
>> whats going on,
>> but I can get only some of the themes / icons to install, if you try
>> enough of them, some work
>> some dont. It almost seems like a bug with the service, pointing to
>> invalid files, since I
>> get errors trying to connect to some of the download URLS, while others
>> work.
>>
>> I'm also playing with test-to-speech, can't get english to work here, it
>> reads text really fast
>> and isn't understandable. Any of you guys managed to get it to work or
>> understand the festival backend?
>>
>> I little digged here and what I found:
>> 1. KTTSD is not working, no matter I tryed :(
>> 2. festival to work require nasd
>> 3. when nasd running, english  (UK & USA) men are speaking OK
>> 4. I found here russian voices:
>> http://festlang.berlios.de/docu/doku.php?id=russian
>> I simply unpacked it to /usr/local/share/festival/lib/voices/russian
>> And russian voice is working too.
>>
>> Kris, I'll try to figure why kttsd not working, while festival is OK.
>> Can we add this russian voice to PC-BSD  base? :)

I don't see any russian voice ports available in the FreeBSD tree:

> http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=festvox&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive
>

> If we can get some added there, I'll be happy to include them :)

I pasted here a link to site, where can be get archive, this:
http://download.berlios.de/festlang/msu_ru_nsh_clunits-0.5.tar.bz2

this archive simply need to be unpacked, no additional actions required.
Can this be included? :)

About kttsd - files which  are generated is OK, both english and russian, I
can play them with mplayer - all text is generated .
Seems some problem with phonon system, I don't see other reasons why it
can't wokring.
 I remember you changed start system's sound from using internal system to
simply mplayer blabla for similar reason, so maybe there will be no
workarounds for a while :(

> I enabled nasd here, and the voice works fine like you said, from festival,
> however kttsd is sped up, like its playing
> with the wrong audio settings or something. Let me know if you can find a
> fix.
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software