[PC-BSD Testing] Latest PC-BSD issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Oct 13 11:28:28 PDT 2009

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:

> 2009/10/13 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>
>       On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>
>       > Appearance - Icons, "Get new themes" not working;
>       > And splash screens not downloading too :(
>       > text-to-speach instead of russian voice trying to give me Czech :)
>       >

> I just did some testing on the Icons & Splash screen stuff. I'm not sure whats going on,
> but I can get only some of the themes / icons to install, if you try enough of them, some work
> some dont. It almost seems like a bug with the service, pointing to invalid files, since I
> get errors trying to connect to some of the download URLS, while others work.
>
> I'm also playing with test-to-speech, can't get english to work here, it reads text really fast
> and isn't understandable. Any of you guys managed to get it to work or understand the festival backend?
>
> I little digged here and what I found:
> 1. KTTSD is not working, no matter I tryed :(
> 2. festival to work require nasd
> 3. when nasd running, english  (UK & USA) men are speaking OK
> 4. I found here russian voices: http://festlang.berlios.de/docu/doku.php?id=russian
> I simply unpacked it to /usr/local/share/festival/lib/voices/russian
> And russian voice is working too.
>
> Kris, I'll try to figure why kttsd not working, while festival is OK.
> Can we add this russian voice to PC-BSD  base? :)

I don't see any russian voice ports available in the FreeBSD tree:

http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=festvox&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

If we can get some added there, I'll be happy to include them :)

I enabled nasd here, and the voice works fine like you said, from festival, however kttsd is sped up, like its playing
with the wrong audio settings or something. Let me know if you can find a fix.