[PC-BSD Testing] today's feature requests

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Oct 6 14:07:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Finishing my way through System Settings and testing using today's ISO. I'm sure there will be more tomorrow....
>
> Network Settings -> Network Settings -> your platform is not supported (only goes up to FreeBSD 6) If select FreeBSD 6, get "could not
> find /proc/net/route" error--also, everything is greyed out so I assume it doesn't pick up settings until it thinks it is supported
>
> feature request: remove the Network Settings menu from the Network settings module as System Network Configuration does the same thing
> and actually works

Done! I didn't notice that it was being included in 4.3.x again, nuked it :)

> question: firewall module: does it automatically restart pf when you add or delete an exception?

No, i don't believe so. You have to use the start / stop / restart buttons in the GUI. Its been a while
since I looked at the code, but I think that was done intentionally, since if you are doing a bunch of rules,
you may not want the firewall being restarted every time, and messing up any services you got running until
its all done.

> request: add avahi-daemon to services manager so Services Discovery can be started

Done! I also updated the services manager a bit while here, so that we have an optional "configure" button , and cleaned up
some of our other services while at it.

> System Network Configuration, is it possible to have the Configure button in the Devices tab to prompt for the superuser password?
> Currently it requires you to start System Settings in Administrative mode, otherwise the Configure button is greyed out. Also, is the
> Configure button in administrative mode broken? I get nothing when I click on it.

Humm, I'm confused.. When I run the network config here, the "configure" button does run kdesu to prompt for PW, and then
it brings up the iterface just fine... Also, the config button works fine in the admin interface here also..

> System Network Configuration -> Network Configuration (Advanced), does not pick up the gateway settings. This may be related to the
> /proc/net/route error mentioned above. The Change Configuration button in the PPPoE section does not open anything. (or is it supposed to
> just change the settings you typed in?)

By default gateway is left empty when using DHCP, since its not in rc.conf. If you switch to using a manual gateway, it'll
show up :)

That config button works fine here also, so I'm not getting it :( Are you running systemsettings in root mode or something?

> Password & User Account crashes System Settings when selected. (seg 11 in virtualbox)

Yea, it does it here also :(

I'll get this fixed up for next alpha.

> Printer Configuration module fails with:
> ---
> The service 'Printer Configuration' does not provide an interface 'KCModule' with keyword
> 'system-config-printer-kde/system-config-printer-kde.py' The factory does not support creating components of the specified type.
>
> Possible reasons:
>
> * An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
> * You have old third party modules lying around.
>
> Check these points carefully and try to remove the module mentioned in the error message. If this fails, consider contacting your
> distrubotor or packager.

Got Josh taking a look into it, some kind of weird python bug :)

> ---
>
> Services Manager:
> is there a way for power users to add services or should they just add them directly to rc.conf? Is there a way to have tighter
> integration with rc.conf? e.g. to see all of the current YES/NO knobs?

Well, adding services is easy! /PCBSD/Services/ is the folder for them, some PBIs add them at install time :)

I don't have it auto-searching rc.conf or anything fancy though, we just need to create config files for any service
we want to show up in the GUI.

> Can this module be renamed so the name isn't so close to KDE's Service Manager? I would suggest something like "Startup Manager"?

Sure, but "Startup Manager" isn't accurate enough, since you can use it to restart services as well :(

Any suggestions anybody on a better name?

> Software Browser:
> connects to PBIs okay but gives error about update server:
>
> Could not contact the PC-BSD update server! Please check your internet connection or proxy settings under Configuration.

Correct, this is because I've not activated these alphas as "valid" copies of PC-BSD for updates on the server. Once
we get to a beta stage, I'll begin doing that, and this error will go away :)