[PC-BSD Testing] More on Speedstep...

doverosx at gmail.com doverosx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:37:28 PDT 2009

Kris Moore wrote:

> Off the top of my head, I'm not very framiliar with speedstep and
> using it on the i7. I'm CC'ing John Hixson over at iX on this though,
> he may know something about it :)
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
>
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Jeff wrote:
>
>> Hmm,
>>
>> When I went to enable and then start the powerd daemon the system
>> reported it was already running (it was not in loader.conf), but it
>> never seems to throttle back the CPU as indirectly measured by the
>> power draw.  Somewhere I read Speedstep doesn't support
>> multiprocessors like the i7.
>>
>> Any knowledge of this?
>>
>> !DSPAM:1,4ac97fbc14809820113256!

powerd wouldn't be in loader.conf, it would be in rc.conf. There are two
available configurations for the rc.d script; powerd_enable and
powerd_flags. Here's the bad news, there is no way I can test it on
Intel outside of remembering powerd working find with Intel Speedstep on
my Pentium M 730 (Dothan).

Is cpufreq_enable in your rc.conf?

Regards,
Brodey