[PC-BSD Testing] today's feature requests

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 5 14:36:50 PDT 2009

Finishing my way through System Settings and testing using today's ISO. I'm sure there will be more tomorrow....

Network Settings -> Network Settings -> your platform is not supported (only goes up to FreeBSD 6) If select FreeBSD 6, get "could not find /proc/net/route" error--also, everything is greyed out so I assume it doesn't pick up settings until it thinks it is supported

feature request: remove the Network Settings menu from the Network settings module as System Network Configuration does the same thing and actually works

question: firewall module: does it automatically restart pf when you add or delete an exception?

request: add avahi-daemon to services manager so Services Discovery can be started

System Network Configuration, is it possible to have the Configure button in the Devices tab to prompt for the superuser password? Currently it requires you to start System Settings in Administrative mode, otherwise the Configure button is greyed out. Also, is the Configure button in administrative mode broken? I get nothing when I click on it.

System Network Configuration -> Network Configuration (Advanced), does not pick up the gateway settings. This may be related to the /proc/net/route error mentioned above. The Change Configuration button in the PPPoE section does not open anything. (or is it supposed to just change the settings you typed in?)

Password & User Account crashes System Settings when selected. (seg 11 in virtualbox)

Printer Configuration module fails with:
---
The service 'Printer Configuration' does not provide an interface 'KCModule' with keyword 'system-config-printer-kde/system-config-printer-kde.py' The factory does not support creating components of the specified type.

Possible reasons:

* An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
* You have old third party modules lying around.

Check these points carefully and try to remove the module mentioned in the error message. If this fails, consider contacting your distrubotor or packager.
---

Services Manager:
is there a way for power users to add services or should they just add them directly to rc.conf? Is there a way to have tighter integration with rc.conf? e.g. to see all of the current YES/NO knobs?

Can this module be renamed so the name isn't so close to KDE's Service Manager? I would suggest something like "Startup Manager"?

Software Browser:
connects to PBIs okay but gives error about update server:

Could not contact the PC-BSD update server! Please check your internet connection or proxy settings under Configuration.

Cheers,

Dru