Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:42:20 PDT 2009

re:  Installation failed

Ian said:

>>Soon after the start of installation, I received this error message:
>>
>> /mnt/./boot/kernel/kernelcpio: write failed: no space left on device.
>>

>>Snips of output from df:

>>Filesystem               1k-blocks     Used     Avail     Capacity Mounted
on

>>/dev/ufs/ROOTFS     19150           19136   -1518    109%            /
>>
>>/dev/md6                  14638                 44   1324          0%
      /tmp

Kris said:

>Humm, according to this, it sounds like the disk failed to mount to /mnt,
and this filled up your '/' partition.

>Did you choose to install to the entire disk, or to a partition? Also, try
booting again, and open up "xterm" can you
>mount your disk / partition to /mnt manually?

1.  I chose "fresh install" and the entire disk (30 Gb).

2. Yes.  I can mount my partition manually.  In message 5 (of Vol 33, Issue
1, October 1, 2009 @ 9:37 AM) I reported:

>>6. Cannot access the hard disk from Dolphin's mount function (ie.,
"Places").
>>Although a hard disk showed in Dolphin's "Places" menu, I could not
>>mount it.  The error message says:
>>"Cannot access attached hd - freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.
>
> >>UnknownFailure:
> >>cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab.
>
> >>This is the same hard disk where an install failed soon after starting
> >>the installation routine, and as a result no files were copied.
> >>However, I can mount the disk manually using the mount command in a
> >>terminal.  Thus the disk is formatted, partitioned, and labeled.  It
> >>contained only one directory, a hidden one named .snap, and it
> >>contained no files.
>
> >>After manually mounting the hard disk, it showed up in the "Recently
> >>Plugged in Devices" program and in Dolphin's Places.  Also, Dolphin
> >>will then let me see the directories and files of the hard disk.

3.  Here is a big surprise re the Video card.  After attempting another
install, and experiencing a freeze after opening up a terminal and issuing
the command "dmesg", I replaced the legacy nVidia card (Ti 4200 - 64 Mb)
with a legacy ati (Rage II AGP, 64 Mb) and began an install.  The install
worked with the ati.  As remote as it seems, I wonder if there is an issue
between my problems, the nVidia card, and X.  I will try the nVidia card in
two ways:  (1) I will test the nVidia card in another system or two to make
sure it is working, and (2) I will put in the nVidia card back into my PCBSD
8.0 alpha machine now that the system is installed, and run the install
video driver routine from the welcome screen to see if things freeze.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio