[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 8.0-20090929 Available

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 1 06:37:30 PDT 2009

> Some quick observations before I hit the sack.
>
> Live CD mode boots up nicely
>
> nVidia drivers work great. - Thanks Kris
>
> The software manager seems to be a bit problematic. Thunderbird would
> start to DL and then fail. Firefox didn't completely DL the first time.
> The second time I got it and it said it was installing it but it didn't.
> It disappeared from the list of installed pbi programs. Opera DL'd and
> installed but did not put its icon in the menu. It did however run OK.
> K3b DL'd and installed but would not run.

Try changing the Mirror in the configuration, maybe its losing connection
to the mirror its using now? Also, those PBIs are still versions from 7.x,
so they will probably not all run properly. We'll be starting to build
8.0 ones here very soon :)

> The Ports Console also has some problems. You can cd to some of the
> directories but not to others. For instance cd /usr/ports fails with no
> such file or directory message while cd /usr/sbin works just fine. The
> terminal lets me cd to the directories that fail in the Ports Console.
> Anyway, it is late so I will work on this again tomorrow.

That is correct, the ports-console is running inside a jail. The only shared directories
between it and your system is /home and /tmp, everything else is seperate, so you don't
have to worry about breaking your system. To get started in it, just run "portsnap fetch extract update"
within the port-console, and begin making ports.