[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20090929 - Install Failure "no space left"

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 1 05:57:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> Testing PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20090929 x86 DVD in <Live Mode>
> Pentium III, 1.0GHz, 512 MB, nVidia Ti4200
>
> 1.  Loads slow - no surprise.
>
> 2.  Runs slow.

Yep, 512MB of ram will do that, it has to run everything from disk. If you have 3-4GB or so,
it'll take longer to bootup, but once its done, It'll run from RAM instead, which is
WAY faster :)

> 3. Portsconsole -- When run from the desktop or menu icon, the program
> starts, a terminal-like screen is loaded which names itself "root:sh".
> However the window disappears.
>
> In contrast,  if I start a terminal and cd/mntuzip/usr/PCBSD/portjail
> and run ./portjail.sh, the terminal name changes to "portjail:csh"
> There is no ports tree to test.

The ports jail is actually turned off by default in LIVE mode, I'll have to make sure to remove that
Icon from the desktop / menu :) I'm not sure it makes sense to have it on, since when running in
memory you won't have enough space to download / build ports and such.

> 6. Cannot access the hard disk from Dolphin's mount function (ie., "Places").
> Although a hard disk showed in Dolphin's "Places" menu, I could not
> mount it.  The error message says:
> "Cannot access attached hd - freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure:
> cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab.
>
> This is the same hard disk where an install failed soon after starting
> the installation routine, and as a result no files were copied.
> However, I can mount the disk manually using the mount command in a
> terminal.  Thus the disk is formatted, partitioned, and labeled.  It
> contained only one directory, a hidden one named .snap, and it
> contained no files.
>
> After manually mounting the hard disk, it showed up in the "Recently
> Plugged in Devices" program and in Dolphin's Places.  Also, Dolphin
> will then let me see the directories and files of the hard disk.
>
> Ian Robinson

I'll take a look into this, probably needs /media created on the mfsroot image