[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20090929 - Install Failure "no space left"

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 05:50:43 PDT 2009

Testing PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20090929 x86 DVD in <Live Mode>
Pentium III, 1.0GHz, 512 MB, nVidia Ti4200

1.  Loads slow - no surprise.

2.  Runs slow.

3. Portsconsole -- When run from the desktop or menu icon, the program
starts, a terminal-like screen is loaded which names itself "root:sh".
 However the window disappears.

In contrast,  if I start a terminal and cd/mntuzip/usr/PCBSD/portjail
and run ./portjail.sh, the terminal name changes to "portjail:csh"
There is no ports tree to test.

4.  Internet works well in the live mode.

5.  Screen looks good.

6. Cannot access the hard disk from Dolphin's mount function (ie., "Places").
Although a hard disk showed in Dolphin's "Places" menu, I could not
mount it.  The error message says:
"Cannot access attached hd - freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure:
cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab.

This is the same hard disk where an install failed soon after starting
the installation routine, and as a result no files were copied.
However, I can mount the disk manually using the mount command in a
terminal.  Thus the disk is formatted, partitioned, and labeled.  It
contained only one directory, a hidden one named .snap, and it
contained no files.

After manually mounting the hard disk, it showed up in the "Recently
Plugged in Devices" program and in Dolphin's Places.  Also, Dolphin
will then let me see the directories and files of the hard disk.

Ian Robinson