[PC-BSD Testing] Support for J-Micron?

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Mon Nov 30 15:08:21 PST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:59 PM, doverosx at gmail.com wrote:

> Okay I see ar0, that is for a raid array and I see ad1 and ad0.
>
> If I assume ad1 is connected to the J-micron controller
>
> you'd mount it like /dev/ad1s1 /media/Backup
>
> ata is the controller and so you must mount block devices..in other
> words a device that has a block type file structure. Hard drives tend to
> be part of ad0, ad1, ad2, ad3, etc. RAID arrays are parte of ar0, ar1,
> ar2, ar3, etc.
>
> ad0s1 denotes a "slice" or low-level partition and ad0s1a denotes a
> high-level partition like /, /etc, /var, etc.
>
> Good luck and let us know ;)!

Judging by the fact that the same slices and partitions exist on ad0 and ad1 it's very likely those are the components of the RAID array.  I'd recommend against mounting them directly while the RAID array is mounted unless you know for a fact that they aren't the raw components.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel