[PC-BSD Testing] Ports Jail and X

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 17 10:36:58 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Matt Olander wrote:

> Hey Kris,
>
> How does the Port Jail work with regards to GUIs? I tried to get
> iReports going from ports, the JasperReports engine. Jasper installs
> fine and I got iReports to at least install after some massaging but
> when it goes to fire up, it can't connect to the X server on the host.
>
> It says:
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
> window server using ':0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable
>
> I tried changing the Port Jails display variable to the host IP:0 but it
> still can't connect.
>
> I wanted to know what the expected method was before I start banging
> around with my hammer :P
>
> -matt

Well, it should just work with X apps, it does here anyway. Did you happen to rebuild the FreeBSD kernel on
this system? If so, make sure you grab this patch before doing so:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/build-files/src-patches/nullfs-patch

This allows nullfs mounted layers to work in a jail with X apps, or any apps which need access to
a socket. If Xin, Josh, John or anybody wants to take a look at getting this commited to FBSD that would
be awesome :)