[PC-BSD Testing] Ports Jail and X

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Tue Nov 17 10:32:41 PST 2009

Hey Kris,

How does the Port Jail work with regards to GUIs? I tried to get
iReports going from ports, the JasperReports engine. Jasper installs
fine and I got iReports to at least install after some massaging but
when it goes to fire up, it can't connect to the X server on the host.

It says:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
window server using ':0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable

I tried changing the Port Jails display variable to the host IP:0 but it
still can't connect.

I wanted to know what the expected method was before I start banging
around with my hammer :P

-matt