[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD * Alpha Testing

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Sat Nov 14 12:53:42 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Mike Bybee <mbybee at dometrilogy.com> wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:56:37 -0500
>> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>
>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD * Alpha Testing
>> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>>
>> Mike Bybee wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM,  <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:52:19 -0500
>>> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD * Alpha Testing
>>> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>

>>> Thanks for that link! I have added in a PBI request for Rhythmbox,
>>> since I noticed it wasn't in the default Gnome install (and I'm a big
>>> fan). There is already a port for it, though the port doesn't build
>>> properly under PC-BSD 7 (ask for details if you'd like them). I'll be
>>> happy to help build the PBI, in fact I was planning on it.
>>
>> Rhythmbox is a PBI now for 7.x, 8.0 will follow in the next week or two.
>>
>> http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org
>> http://pbibuild64.pcbsd.org
>

> Thank you very much! That was extremely fast
>

>>> With regards to the the login screen issue with 1280x1024 - I noticed
>>> the same issue on my system at 1280x800 as well. I'm really happy to
>>> see that's going to be fixed.
>>
>> I think it may be fixed now, James just committed new login theme stuff
>> for 8.0 the other day, when the next alpha comes out, let me know if it
>> corrects the issue.
>>

> I will be sure to check as soon as the alpha is posted.
>

>>> Quick question about the 'Add Remove Software' dialog - it first comes
>>> up with the kdesu prompt asking me to authenticate as root, then it
>>> tells me that I have to run as root (but with the same theme as the
>>> normal system settings now). Shouldn't that be the other way around?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike Bybee
>>
>> This is on 7.1.1? I think this has already been fixed in 8.0 :)
>>

> This existed as of the most recent 8 Alpha image I checked. I'll go
> grab the newest one and check again.

I just checked with the alpha image
PCBSD8.0-ALPHA-20091029-x86-DVD.iso, compared to 7.2

7.2 -> Menu -> Applications -> System -> Add / Remove Software: I get
a KDE su box for the command /usr/PCBSD/local/kde4/bin/kcmshell4
pcbsdpbm -> Then I get the add/remove software screen with the whole
checking for updates, etc.

8.0 -> Menu -> Applications -> System -> Add / Remove Software: I get
a KDE su box for the command /usr/local/kde4/bin/kcmshell4 pcbsdpbm ->
Then I get the new screen that says "Software & Updates" with the
PC-BSD logo and it says "This program must be run as root. click the
"Administrator Mode" button below or restart the program as root." ->
I click the button and it jumps directly into the snazzy new utility
that goes straight to the pbiDIR browser and all.

It's much nicer than before, but it still strikes me as odd that it
wouldn't run the kdesu until I tell it to.

--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee