[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD * Alpha Testing

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Nov 11 06:52:19 PST 2009

stautzenberger at speakeasy.net wrote:
> My system is:
>
> Asus P5NSLI motherboard
>
> Intel Pentium D 3 Ghz
>
> Marvell Gigabit Lan
>
> 3 Gb ram
>
> ATI Radeon X700 video card
>
> ADI AD1986 A sound chip on MB.
>

> Installation virtually the same as 7.1, bit none of the PBI's were installed.
>
> That was probably to be expected. (I haven't read very many posts yet).
>
> Set display to 1280x1024, but there was no 'Hubble' background at this setting.

We'll take a look into that, probably need those different sized
backgrounds.

> Used both 'ATI' and 'Vesa' modes. Both were equally acceptable.
>
> Randomly tested various programs with no anomalies noted, but the my system
> seemed sluggish.
>
> Add/Remove software worked OK for Lyx, but not Opera.

All the PBIs added via the Software Manager are from 7.x, so they may
not perform
100%. Once FreeBSD 8.0 releases, we'll begin to approve / upload 8.x PBIs.

> I'm currently using PC-BSD 7.1 on a Fujitsu laptop, and so far I haven't seen
> anything
>
> that enticing about 8.0..
>
> Thanks for allowing me my input. I'll continue testing.
>
> I need to run ports to load up mc, xmms, xpdf, etc. Can't live without them.

If you find any ports that you need are aren't in PBI format, go ahead
and request them here:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PBI_Requests

http://www.pcbsd.com