[PC-BSD Testing] questions/requests about support/docs

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Nov 10 12:50:11 PST 2009

Dru Lavigne wrote:

>>From this week's chapter regarding support/documentation:
>
> Can anyone create a login account and edit wiki.pcbsd.org? (I didn't want to try with a spurious edit). If so, is it possible to restrict who can edit (e.g. similar to giving a commit bit)? I'm pointing readers to the wiki as a resource and don't want a bunch of newbies trying to edit stuff.

For now, yes anybody can create a wiki account and edit pages, thats how
we do the PBI request list, etc. Right now I think it should be left
open, unless we get a dedicated team of folks who want to maintain it,
and approve users for
editing, since I don't want to be handing out keys to it all the time :)

> feature request: on the Support page, change the title of the Knowledge Base hyperlink to "Knowledge Base/ FAQs". I originally had to google to find the FAQs.

Done!

> feature request: here it is called the PC-BSD Users Handbook: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_Users_Handbook,
> here it is called the PC-BSD Guide: http://docs.pcbsd.org/guide/index_single.html,
> here it is called the Quick Guide: http://docs.pcbsd.org/. It is all the same document. Please pick one title and update all links (and the shortcut on the Desktop) accordingly.

Fixed!

> How does one make an account on faqs? Or do you want people adding to this (not
> being able to login may be why there are so few of these). If people can make an account, is it possible to integrate the forums and the faqs so that the login for one works for the other?

I've updated phpmyfaqs now, I think the registration was disabled
before. Give it a try again, let me know if you can
register now. I don't think we can marge the two usernames though
between forums / faqs, two completely different pieces of software, and
would be a pain to keep that working :)

> feature request: the "click here" link in the professional support paragraph at http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/15/29/ should display something more useful than the main iXsystems page (e.g. a list of offerings and prices or the contact info for sales if they don't want to list prices online).

Fixed!

http://www.pcbsd.com