[PC-BSD Testing] Latest Alpha -xorg issues

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:36:37 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Airy <airy at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>>> Just tried the latest alpha and something was broken compared to the
>>> previous alpha unfortunately.
>>>

>>> Installed on a Asus P5E-VM HDMI board on an IDE 320gb harddisk .
>>
>> somewhat related, I have a confusing problem I have an Asus board that
>> xorg refuses to allow a working mouse and Keyboard
>> The dmesg below is Not from PCBSD it is From FreeBSD 9.0 and both
>> FreeBSD 8.0 and 9.0 work.
>>
>> I am not sure what is different about PCBSD
>>
>> I also am showing the working xorg.conf from FreeBSD 9(8.0 RC2 works as well)
>>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Sam Fourman Jr.
>
> Sam,
>
> Take a look at this section from your FreeBSD systems. It looks like you
> have AutoAddDevices set to Off, which is on by default in PC-BSD Alphas:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Layout0"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 1440 0
>     Screen      1  "Screen1" rightOf "Screen0"
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>     Option         "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
> EndSection
>
> Could you give that a try on a PC-BSD system? If putting that into your xorg.conf fixes
> your mouse / keyboard, then we can nail down the issue as being something with HAL, since xorg
> tries to probe for devices via HAL with that option turned on.

This does allow the mouse and keyboard to work. I did it by installing
PCBSD 8 on a working system
adding Option         "AutoAddDevices" "Off" to xorg.conf and moving
that hard disk to the other system.
and now I have a working mouse and keyboard just like in FreeBSD

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks