[PC-BSD Testing] Firefox issue

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 08:39:24 PST 2009

I know this is slightly off topic, but thought it might be a problem for a lot of people.

I initially thought this was a problem with PCBSD and was about to dig into it when a little Googling found the real culprit.

I have been noticing a problem with Firefox for a while that's been driving me nuts.

Every 10 seconds the browser would freeze for several seconds - nothing would work, a mouse scroll, keyboard, nothing and a peek at the system load monitor showed high CPU activity during that time.  The more windows and tabs I opened the longer the duration.  The system buffer stored any activity with the keyboard and mouse and it would all get executed after the freeze but it was terribly annoying.  Only FF had this problem, no other app.

FF does a session store every 10 seconds so that if you have a crash it saves the latest session data for your convenience.  But it stops working during the time it's doing this save - why is anyone's guess.

The fix is to simply change that interval from 10 seconds to something much larger, like 5 minutes.

So if you have been annoyed by this, just type: about.config in the browser window, search for the entry "browser.sessionstore.interval", double click the entry, and change it from 10000 milliseconds to say, 300,000.

Problem solved.  It's only really noticeable when you have lots of tabs and windows open in FF.