[PC-BSD Testing] Dolphin glitch in admin mode

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:57:22 PST 2009

>> 3.? Dolphin in admin mode will not open text files with either kwrite or
>> kate.? The error message says, "Sorry - Dolphin.? KDEInit could not
launch
>> '/usr/local/kde4/bin/kwrite'.?

>> Dolphin in the user mode will launch kwrite or kate.
>>
>> Cannot launch Dolphin or Konqueror in a terminal as root either:
>>
>> "KUniqueApplication:? Cannot find the D-Bus session server:? "Did not
>> receive a reply.? Possible causes include:? the remote application did
not
>> send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply
>> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

>Give this a shot:
>
>In a konsole, run this command:
>
>kdesu "dolphin 2>dolphin.log"
>
>Try running something in kwrite / kate, and get the error again, then
>take a look at the dolphin.log file and let me know if there is
>any more specific info within it.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Kris Moore
>PC-BSD Software
=====================================

Kris -- Here is the additional information you requested from "dolphin.log"

"/usr/local/kde4/bin/dolphin(52809)" Error in thread 714084672 :
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name
org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service
files"

"/usr/local/kde4/bin/dolphin(52809)" Error in thread 714084672 :
"QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

It sticks in my mind that we had the same problem in the early 7-series
releases.  I'll go back through the logs to see if that is true.

P.S. - When I read the comments about the boot/device probe/dmesg being
solw, that was not my experience.  If anything, IMHO that process has had a
speed increase, even on an old PIII 1GHz with only 512 Mb of RAM.  There are
things that can slow it down, like not being able to make the network
connection as one example, so perhaps Pierre was having some hardware glitch
interfering with his boot process.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio