[PC-BSD Testing] New Alpha up!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Nov 5 08:12:48 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Arthur Koziol wrote:

> On 11/03/2009 2:15 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
>> Everybody,
>>
>> Another alpha has been uploaded to the usual testing site:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
>>
>> This build is done off of FreeBSD 8.0-RC2, so feel free to give it a whirl and
>> see if things work better on any systems having hardware issues. Also, we've started
>> adding our themes for the desktop now, so you can get a sneak peek at it, as well
>> as the usual bugfixes, etc.
>>
>> I'm working like crazy on our new installer backend right now, trying to get it
>> wrapped up and working properly, so we can chuck the old one and begin seriously
>> testing all its new features, so if I take a while to respond to requests please
>> forgive me :)
>>

> Kris,
>
> Just grabbed the new alpha and did a clean install to my Intel abuse box
> (GX260). One thing off the bat I noticed was that there are no desktop
> icons. Oddly enough, if I open Dolphin and browse to Home > Desktop,
> Dolphin shows them. I downloaded Java 1.6.0_7 pbi and installed it and
> told it to create desktop icons but no dice. In Dolphin, they are there.
> Rebooted thinking it was some KDE issue but still no desktop icons.

Fixed in SVN, we just forgot to include the default folder-view widget. If you
right click, and add a widget of folderview and config it to "desktop" it'll show
back up.

> Immediately turned off desktop slideshow and used a static image
> instead. ;-)

I've changed the slideshow to 5 minute cycling instead of 10 seconds, it was
making me dizzy at first :)

> Tons of new modules loading up at boot in RC2. Yowza! Pierre said
> booting is taking long but it's as fast as the alpha using 8.0RC1 for me
> on my old hardware.

I've improved the speed a bit on the install CD now, so it doesn't have to
load as many modules. I'm doing this in 8.0 now so that we can build as close
to a FreeBSD GENERIC kernel as possible, and load optional modules for the rest
of support.

> The new static image stating "Loading System..." is a nice touch. Is it
> possible to animate the ellipsis to give it the effect of doing
> something? This might serve as a deterrent to those new users who might
> think the system has paused or frozen due to the loading happening
> behind the scenes and do a hard power-off mid-boot?

Not currently :( I've heard that support is in the works for FreeBSD, and once
it goes in I'll be eager to make our loading screen animated.

> Polishing is going well I think and with RC2 under the hood things like
> menus are much more snappy. Doing a Leave > Restart / Shutdown are
> nearly instant. Hopefully KDE 4.3.3 gets ported over as I hear a LOT of
> stuttering and compositing problems are gone.
>
> More as it comes.
> Arthur

KDE 4.3.3 is already ported over, we are just waiting for the release of FreeBSD 8.0
to get wrapped up before it can get thrown into the ports tree. I'm eager for it as well,
lots of new fixes :)