Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Nov 5 07:52:15 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> Testing PCBSD 8.0-Alpha-20091029 i386 using VirtualBox installation.
>

> 1.  Wow -- The new desktop backgrounds with the logo are intense and
> beautiful.

Yea, I love em as well :)

> 2.  I did not see the usual desktop "folder view" widget (with icons to
> access www.pcbsd.org, www.pbidir.com, and help) after the installation.
> This was easily fixed with the add folder view widget.

We'll be fixing that shortly, when we updated the theme we lost the default
folder view desktop widget.

> 3.  Dolphin in admin mode will not open text files with either kwrite or
> kate.  The error message says, "Sorry - Dolphin.  KDEInit could not launch
> '/usr/local/kde4/bin/kwrite'.   (kate message is the same).
>
> Dolphin in the user mode will launch kwrite or kate.
>
> Cannot launch Dolphin or Konqueror in a terminal as root either:
>
> "KUniqueApplication:  Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not
> receive a reply.  Possible causes include:  the remote application did not
> send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

Give this a shot:

In a konsole, run this command:

kdesu "dolphin 2>dolphin.log"

Try running something in kwrite / kate, and get the error again, then
take a look at the dolphin.log file and let me know if there is
any more specific info within it.

Thanks!