[PC-BSD Testing] New Alpha up!

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Nov 5 07:46:09 PST 2009

On 11/03/2009 2:15 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> Everybody,
>
> Another alpha has been uploaded to the usual testing site:
>
> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
>
> This build is done off of FreeBSD 8.0-RC2, so feel free to give it a whirl and
> see if things work better on any systems having hardware issues. Also, we've started
> adding our themes for the desktop now, so you can get a sneak peek at it, as well
> as the usual bugfixes, etc.
>
> I'm working like crazy on our new installer backend right now, trying to get it
> wrapped up and working properly, so we can chuck the old one and begin seriously
> testing all its new features, so if I take a while to respond to requests please
> forgive me :)

Kris,

Just grabbed the new alpha and did a clean install to my Intel abuse box
(GX260). One thing off the bat I noticed was that there are no desktop
icons. Oddly enough, if I open Dolphin and browse to Home > Desktop,
Dolphin shows them. I downloaded Java 1.6.0_7 pbi and installed it and
told it to create desktop icons but no dice. In Dolphin, they are there.
Rebooted thinking it was some KDE issue but still no desktop icons.

Immediately turned off desktop slideshow and used a static image
instead. ;-)

Tons of new modules loading up at boot in RC2. Yowza! Pierre said
booting is taking long but it's as fast as the alpha using 8.0RC1 for me
on my old hardware.

The new static image stating "Loading System..." is a nice touch. Is it
possible to animate the ellipsis to give it the effect of doing
something? This might serve as a deterrent to those new users who might
think the system has paused or frozen due to the loading happening
behind the scenes and do a hard power-off mid-boot?

Polishing is going well I think and with RC2 under the hood things like
menus are much more snappy. Doing a Leave > Restart / Shutdown are
nearly instant. Hopefully KDE 4.3.3 gets ported over as I hear a LOT of
stuttering and compositing problems are gone.

More as it comes.
Arthur