[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1 RC1

rasz raszobbi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:47:02 PST 2009

Kris Moore wrote:
> rasz wrote:
>
>> Kris Moore wrote:

>>> There is no amd64 Nvidia driver for FreeBSD as of yet. We're still
>>> waiting for a few crucial things to be added to the BSD system before
>>> nvidia will release a driver for us:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests
>>>

>> Kris Moore, are you aware of the nouveau driver work in progress? it is
>> beyond me technically, so i don't know if you
>> are unaware or think it's not viable. they're is still activity on
>> freebsd-x11 mailing list, even today and has been going
>> on for a couple weeks now
>>

> I've heard of that driver, but from what I've seen, its got a ways to go
> before it had the same kind of compatibility / support that our regular
> nvidia driver does at the moment. I think if we can get the amd64 issues
> fixed in FreeBSD 8, then most users will rather run the nvidia blob
> directly, especially since its supported directly by nvidia, and tends
> to "just work" in most cases.

i i can't argue with that - definitely, but i caught the discussion as
it started on the mailing list and
i got the impression they don't think the official driver and requested
features are around the corner as yet.
I don't know what is going on in 8 much though, but the nouveau testers
seemed hopeful to have a somewhat functional driver before nvidia's,
that may be a bit better than nv.
it's not for me personally in any case, i'm sticking to i386 - not out
of choice, but my interests are multimedia production and games
and the only thing i'm really waiting for. i just thought there might be
some amd64 ppl who would be interested to know, maybe some guru help
pave the way :).