[PC-BSD Testing] Testing 7.1 RC1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 31 12:44:47 PST 2009

rasz wrote:
> Kris Moore wrote:
>> Yvan Martin wrote:
>>
>>> First the good stuff:
>>> 1. Firefox and Thunderbird worked right away, which had not been the
>>> case with the Betas.
>>> 2. I was not presented with a choice of nVidia drivers, but nv behaved
>>> well which is all a normal user would expect.
>>>
>> There is no amd64 Nvidia driver for FreeBSD as of yet. We're still
>> waiting for a few crucial things to be added to the BSD system before
>> nvidia will release a driver for us:
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests
>>

> Kris Moore, are you aware of the nouveau driver work in progress? it is
> beyond me technically, so i don't know if you
> are unaware or think it's not viable. they're is still activity on
> freebsd-x11 mailing list, even today and has been going
> on for a couple weeks now

I've heard of that driver, but from what I've seen, its got a ways to go
before it had the same kind of compatibility / support that our regular
nvidia driver does at the moment. I think if we can get the amd64 issues
fixed in FreeBSD 8, then most users will rather run the nvidia blob
directly, especially since its supported directly by nvidia, and tends
to "just work" in most cases.

http://www.pcbsd.com